Monday, June 22, 2009

Are You Worth It?

One of the things that I've been learning about lately is my worth. Specifically, people going out of their way to help me.

What usually happens when someone offers to help us out? We usually apologize profusely and desperately look for any possible reason to politely refuse their assistance. "It's ok, I'll be all right." or "Oh you don't have to do that!" or "But I don't want to be any trouble for you..." or even the stronger "No! I can't let you do that for me! I'll be fine!"

Think about it. Why do we say these sorts of things when we know that if the situation was reversed, we would absolutely love to go out of our way for them? Well, it seems like we don't love ourselves very much. Much of our lives, we are taught by the church to always put other peoples' needs above our own. This is good (in moderation), but we often slip into this mindset that our needs are not important and should not be assisted by anyone because it might be a burden to them. This can not only make your life much more difficult, but can also deprive others of the blessings they would receive by helping you.

But what is the foundation that we must have in our hearts for this? I am important. What a shock! How often are we taught this? Not enough! If you don't really think you are important, think of it this way: If God Himself would take a bullet for your well-being, then you sound pretty important to me!

So here is the punch line: You are worth it. He made you worth it!

Now we don't go around being a pain in the neck to others of course, but when we balance this out, we get:

My needs are important, and so are yours! This is a healthy view of life and relationship. I want to help you out and you want to help me out. Rememer, the second greatest commandment of all time? Love your neighbor as yourself. You can't love another person properly if you don't love yourself! When you find yourself questioning why anyone would want to help you out, remind yourself that...

YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!

John H.

No comments:

Post a Comment